This is a wonderful time of the year. But too often we forget what the season is all about and forget about those around us. We are in such a hurry to get everything done that we do not take the time to really connect with people. We need to take the time to notice people, children, co-workers, pets, the elderly, military families and the homeless. Think about what you can do for the next 31 days. Try it and see what happens. If these ideas do not fit your lifestyle, start your own list and make a difference starting today.
I’ve created my list for December and here is what I will strive to do each day this month. Starting today!
- Start the month with optimism as we enter a wonderful time of the year. Decide within yourself to make a difference.
- If there is someone at work who you know is struggling, take a few moments to encourage them and let them know how important they are to the company.
- Visit a homeless shelter. Take groceries and clothing to help someone in need.
- Take a friend to lunch to let them know how important they are to you and how much you value their friendship.
- Visit an animal shelter. Adopt a pet, or donate supplies to provide a better life for the animals there.
- Perform one random act of kindness for someone you come in contact with. Open a door, yield in traffic, give a compliment, etc. You know you can do it.
- Begin the work week with a positive attitude and despite a troubled economy that affects business and family, make a determined effort to make a difference at work.
- Be polite and cordial to everyone you meet, no matter what.
- Make a real effort before a family dinner to look around the table and tell everyone in your life how important they are to you.
- Do something for the environment today. Think about it carefully and find something that will make a difference. Think green all day!
- At lunch today, give something extra to your server and put a smile on their face.
- Call a friend that you have not spoken to for a while to reconnect and get caught up on each other’s lives.
- Take time to share with your kids how much they mean to you and how blessed you are to be their parent.
- If you see any military personnel at lunch today, consider picking up their tab.
- Tell your spouse how much you love and adore them and spend time reconnecting.
- Visit an elderly person you know and see what they may need or what you can do for them today.
- At your next dinner party give everyone paper and pen and let each write down what they are thankful for. Put them in a binder and leave out for all to read.
- Find a needy family and bring them a Christmas tree with all the trimmings and food for the holidays.
- Donate blood to your local blood bank today.
- Visit your local food pantry and ask them what they are in need of and then do whatever you can to meet that need.
- Call an estranged family member and apologize, even if it was not your fault.
- Call your parents just to talk and thank them for all they have done for you. If your parents are not still alive, then call an elderly person who may need to hear from you.
- If you have a grandchild, spend the day with them. Take the time to get to know them and let them bond with you.
- Call every family member you can to wish them a happy holiday and let them know how important they are to you.
- Be blessed and bless someone else today. Be grateful and thankful all day.
- Be positive all day. No complaining, no matter what. Even if you’re fighting crowds to return a gift.
- Donate clothes, toys or anything extra you may have after Christmas as there are many needs yet to be met.
- Take a walk and reflect on the beauty of this world. Spend some quiet time and enjoy everything around you.
- Read a book or write notes of encouragement to friends and family for the New Year.
- Think of some wonderful act of kindness someone bestowed upon you and look for opportunities to do the same for someone else.
- Plan your 2010 year of giving. Donate to your favorite charity and consider what you plan to do this New Year to make a difference in someone’s life.
I hope that I will be successful with my list and I will make every effort to do so.
Please make your own list and please share with me what you may be doing to make a difference over the next 31 days. I would love to hear from you and share with others what you are doing. Write me and good luck!